School Counts! In the Oil Region is an initiative that encourages employers to use high
shcool performance records as one of the criteria used to evaluate high school job applicants.
The program also demonstrates to students the importance of building a strong work ethic in high
school, as it will directly affect their future employment. Young people need to know that there is a
correlation between working hard in school and finding a job-whether that job is in a Fortune 500
company or in the stockroom of a local retail store.
Students need to know that attendance, punctuality, attitude and effort count and that nothing breeds
success like hard work. Employers can reinforce these messages by asking young applicants for high
school performance records, or a School Counts! In the Oil Region certificate.
School Counts! In the Oil Region will help students understand that school performance is important
and will help develop a more qualified workforce.
The criteria students must meet each school year to earn a certificate are:
- Obtain at least a "C" or better in every class
- Achieve at least a 95% attendance and punctuality rate
- Take more than the minimum number of required credits
- Graduate high school in eight consecutive semesters
- Demonstrate a positive behavior and no school suspensions
- Pass random drug tests
We began with a pilot program at the Cranberry Area School District in the spring of 2013. The
remaining Oil Region school districts have committed to rolling this program out beginning in the fall
What can you do.....
- Sign up to be a School Counts! In the Oil Region employer
- Use the School Counts! In the Oil Region certificate as one of the criteria used to evaluate high
school job applicants.
- Encourage other companies to participate in and support School Counts! In the Oil Region
- Read the EMPLOYER GUIDE and encourage others to support School Counts! In the Oil Region
- Read the BROCHURE and shere it with others